Man, we are getting a lot of use out of our little Weber Baby Q. Even in the winter we’ve been grilling a couple of times a week (even in the rain!) and now the weather has warmed up we’ll probably step it up.
Starting with these lovely Portuguese chicken burgers from Taste! They are easy and don’t require long marination (i.e. planning), and have enough spice to be noticeable but not challenging. I was worried it would be too spicy, because James kept getting overpowered by the chilli fumes while barbecuing. But it was fine – I think it could have done with a bit more of a kick actually.
The burger looks kind of undercooked in the photo but I think the pinkish tinge actually came from being marinated in the chilli (or possibly the lighting). But anyway, it wasn’t undercooked – it was perfectly moist and delicious!
The recipe makes a single burger and can easily be scaled up. I had one and James had two.
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried hot chilli flakes
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 chicken thigh fillet (about 130g)
- Place the lemon juice, oil, chilli flakes and garlic in a medium bowl. Season with salt and whisk to combine. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Preheat a barbecue grill on medium high. Drain the chicken from the marinade. Cook on grill for 5 minutes each side or until chicken is just cooked through.
The recipe suggested serving it on a roll with garlic mayo, lettuce and tomato. If you want to be healthy you could just have it with a salad.
Very Rough Nutritional Guide:
Just the chicken: 199 calories, 46% fat, 54% protein, 1% carbs