This nutella capcake recipe (from this food blog) has been on my to-bake list for years. It may have languished for several more years, except that today I didn’t have enough butter to make yo-yos so I made these instead. After all, who doesn’t like nutella? Nobody! Nobody doesn’t like nutella!
Verdict: tasty! Not too sweet, and quite moreish. It’s eggier than I’m accustomed to cupcakes being though. James is a lot fonder of them than I am – he’s had 6 already (read the nutritional information, fatty! In the past few hours you’ve eaten 1800 calories in cupcakes!) Since the recipe only makes 12 this has depleted our cupcake stash quite considerably.
I feel that I should have swirled the nutella a bit better. There is a lot of nutella at the top and not enough at the bottom – so I’ll start eating and be all like “mmm nutella goodness”, and then there is plain cupcake and sadness.
Also here is a pic of the cupcakes in the fancy cake dome that Henry got me for Christmas. Incidentally, my politics teacher in high school hated it when we used “got” and “get” – she said that there was always a more elegant way of phrasing things – for instance, I could have said “the fancy cake dome that Henry bought me for Christmas”. Anyway, every time I use got/get I remember her rant, which is weird because I don’t even remember that teacher’s name.
In the background you can see the screaming cat house we got for free with some Iams cat food. I think it’s hideous, but James won’t let me throw it out because the cats love it.
- 140g unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- nutella, approx 1/3 cup
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light, 2 minutes. Add in eggs one at a time, until fully incorporated. Add vanilla. Stir in flour, salt and baking powder until batter is uniform and no flour remains.
- Fill each muffin liner with batter. They should be 3/4 full. Top each cake with 1 1/2 tsp Nutella. Swirl Nutella in with a toothpick, making sure to fold a bit of batter up over the nutella.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Very Rough Nutritional Information:
1 cupcake: 300 calories, 48% fat, 6% protein, 46% carbs